John is an experienced statistician, programmer, database developer, and environmental scientist. He earned an M.A. and a Ph.D. in Mathematical Statistics at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. He has 36 years of experience in environmental work, focusing on site characterization and remediation. He has 28 years of experience in statistics and has worked on many cutting-edge problems. He has developed numerous environmental sampling designs and experimental designs for studies and has analyzed and reported the resulting data. He has consulted on numerous environmental and engineering projects. He is an expert in environmental statistics, Bayesian statistics, statistical quality, sampling design, multivariate statistics, spatial statistics, statistical characteristics of laboratory and field measurements, the use of screening methodologies, composite sampling, unequal probability sampling, and many modern statistical methods.
He is an A2LA approved assessor for ISO/IEC 17025 and a trainer for A2LA. He is a member of the American Statistical Association and the American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM). Within ASTM, he is:
- Member of Committee E11: Quality and Statistics
- Chair of Subcommittee E11.30: Statistical Quality Control
- Coordinator for Data Points column in ASTM Standardization News
- Member of Committee E50: Environmental Assessment, Risk Management, and Corrective Action
- Member of Committee D02: Petroleum Products, Liquid Fuels, and Lubricants
- Member of Committee D22: Air Quality